Gloversville Middle School was temporarily evacuated Friday, March 15 after an e-cigarette, or “vape pen,” combusted in a student’s pocket at approximately 11:30 a.m.
As a result of smoke from the malfunctioning device, the school fire alarm was set off, and students and staff immediately left the building as Gloversville firefighters and the district’s school resource officer responded to the scene. The student who had been in possession of the e-cigarette was evaluated by the school nurse and then taken to the hospital for burns.
Superintendent of Schools David Halloran said the student will face discipline in accordance with the Code of Conduct and district policies, which prohibit any form of tobacco or e-cigarette on school grounds.
No other students or staff were injured during the incident.
“Vaping is becoming a serious problem in schools across the country. The health dangers are clear and today’s incident underscores another danger these vape pens pose. The effects of this malfunctioning device could easily have been far worse,” Halloran said. “I implore parents to speak to their children about the dangers of e-cigarettes.”
Students or parents who have concerns about e-cigarette use can contact their school nurse. Additional information about e-cigarettes is available on the school district website. Click here to read Vaping 101: What every parent should know.
In New York state, e-cigarettes are treated the same as regular cigarettes. Vaping is banned in all public spaces, including public and private schools, colleges, restaurants, workplaces, public transportation, and in other areas where smoking is forbidden.