Consistent with the district’s philosophy of education, Kingsborough Elementary School’s counseling program concerns itself with maximizing each child’s potential. It is the goal of Kingsborough’s counseling program to academically and socially prepare today’s students to become tomorrow’s adults.
Kingsborough Elementary School employs a full-time school counselor. The school counselor offers individual counseling, group counseling, and classroom guidance lessons. The school counselor also coordinates the child study team and provides follow up with parents, staff and acts as a link between outside agencies when needed.
Friendship groups, social skills groups, family issues groups and character education groups are also conducted regularly.
Classroom guidance lessons include goal setting, career awareness/academic development, character education, personal safety and solving problems peacefully.
Some goals of the counseling program are:
- To help students recognize and make the most of their abilities.
- To help students build self-esteem and self-confidence.
- To help students develop social skills and conflict-resolution skills.
- To help students learn to recognize and deal with their feelings.
- To help students better adjust to school and home environments.
- To help students develop self-understanding and self-awareness.
- To help students make appropriate decisions.
Each month a student in each class is awarded a certificate for displaying the qualities of the “trait of the month” as part of the character education program. The traits focused on are: honesty, respect, responsibility, caring, fairness, self-control, safety, cooperation, and sportsmanship. Winners are recognized at the monthly assemblies. The classroom with the best monthly attendance is also recognized at the monthly assemblies and are awarded an ice cream party.
If you cannot access or are having trouble viewing any information in this format, please contact the district at (518) 775-5702, and a hard copy will be provided, if available.